The online carbon footprint calculation tools enable you to calculate your personal or business carbon footprint.
The online calculators on this web site follow the methodology outlined by the UK Government, and currently using the “Greenhouse gas reporting: conversion factors 2021”.
The only exceptions to this are :
1. Country specific electricity factors
- Many publicly available country specific electricity emissions factors are provided for free within the calculator tool. A full list of these along with the sources is provided by Carbon Footprint Ltd in International Electricity Factors.
- Where information is available, the emissions factors provided in the online calculators cover emissions from both Generation of the Electricity and Transmission & Distribution (T&D) losses. The calculations do not, however, include the Well to Tank (WTT) Emissions associated with extraction, refining, distribution, storage of the fuels used in the power stations.
2. The Individual / Household’s Secondary Footprint calculations
- These factors are produced from Defra 2017 Supply Chain factors (see below for more details).
The calculator uses emissions factors which take account of all greenhouse gases (i.e. CO2, N2O, methane etc.) released by the activities, with the results presented in units of metric tons of CO2 equivalent (CO2e). In most cases that means the results will be slightly higher than if calculating CO2 only. The calculations of emissions from fuels are Scope 1, meaning the direct GHG emissions from the combustion of the fuels. The calculations do not include the Well to Tank (WTT) Scope 3 Emissions associated with extraction, refining, distribution, storage and retail of the fuels.
When calculating emissions for Wood the emissions factors for Wood Pellets is used. The calculator also assumes domestic coal is used in both the Business and Household calculators.
The “free to use” Business Carbon Footprint Calculator doesn’t include all Scope 3 emissions from your supply chain such as purchased products & services, waste, water and outsourced logistics. If you need to include these elements please contact us as we have bespoke calculator tools that can be used for these purposes.
To complete your carbon footprint calculation, enter data from your business (or lifestyle) over the last 12 months (or time period of your choice). i.e. if you are calculating your car travel emissions then enter the total distance you have travelled over the past 12 months. The following sections below give further information on how to use the calculator and answers to frequently asked questions.